Friday, May 27, 2011

Homemade Playdough

I've made salt dough.  I've made silly putty with borax and glue.  I've made gak-like stuff with styrofoam and acetone.  But, I'd never made playdough before.

Until now.

And I'm wondering why I never tried it before because it's EASY and it's AMAZING!

I found the recipe HERE at Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  She's got some incredible recipes for some DELICIOUS food (try the cinnamon rolls!) but has some fun recipes for stuff like Playdough too.

I followed the instructions for making it from THIS recipe over at The Crazy Gecko.  If you look closely, the recipes are basically the same, but I wanted to use the microwave.  

Who knew you had to cook playdough?

A little bit of food coloring and I got these-


Ignore the little white chunks...someone came to the door while I was microwaving it and I didn't get to stir it soon enough.  Next time I'll ignore the knocking.

The thing I like about The Crazy Gecko's recipe was the fact that she mixed in the food coloring LAST.  Mel's recipe makes 3 or 4 good sized blobs of playdough, and if you mix the food coloring in before cooking it, then you only get ONE color of playdough. 

BORING.

Once you're done mixing though, you get to do this!


Brooklyn's first experience with playdough ever.  She lasted about 7 minutes before she started pinching off little bits of dough and sneaking them towards her mouth.  Since I know exactly what is in it, I let her go ahead and eat a piece.  She was disgusted by the taste, so hopefully she's cured of that desire for life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment